Sunday, April 28, 2013

pfeffernuesse

Yesterday I rounded up (easily rounded up) several friends to make peppernuts (aka pfeffernuesse aka paypanate) for my launch party next week. I hadn't actually made peppernuts in about five years--and it was an all-by-myself affair. I swore that I would only do it again with a group. And so I did. We finished over a gallon of peppernuts within 90 minutes. David and I did the dough beforehand, but it's the cutting and baking that's the tedious part for the solitary baker, so that's what matters. Some folks asked for the recipe, so I've pasted it below. 

There are many different types of peppernuts; this recipe is the one my paternal grandmother made. I got the recipe from one of my aunts, who got it from her mother, who got it from her mother, right back into the days of Russia.

Peppernuts (Pffeffernuesse) 

from Helen Siebert Penner, Lena Groening Siebert,  Aganetha Klaassen Groening and "beyond"  to Russia

Makes well over a gallon of peppernuts.

8 cups sugar white (Helen)
2 cups butter
1 cup cream (or I have sometimes used unsweetened evaporated milk)
2 cups milk
1 cup flour

Mix the above ingredients together and bring to a boil on the stove. Let it cool. You can keep in fridge for up to three weeks; however, it is easier to work with if you use it after it has “room” cooled.

Add the following to the above cooked mixture:
6 eggs
1 T Baking Soda
2 t cloves
1 t cinnamon
1 t nutmeg
1 T ginger
1 t vanilla
2 cups crushed nuts (walnuts)
NOTE: I “double-plus” the amount of all the spices.

Mix and add flour to handle--up to 14 cups
Roll into pencil or finger-like strips and cut into small pieces.  Place on baking sheet separate from each other.

Bake 400--375 for 8 minutes (according to the original)

No comments:

Post a Comment